Corrective jaw surgery is usually preformed by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Common reasons for jaw surgery include:
- TMJ or temporomandibular joint pain and dysfunction caused by trauma or deformation
- Major or minor trauma
- Malocclusion or incorrect bite
- Clenching, or grinding of the teeth causing excessive tooth wear
- Difficulty chewing, eating, opening and closing the mouth, or talking
- Incorrect jaw position and un-proportioned facial appearance
Dr. Fong will refer you to see the surgeon if he feels your situation will benefit from a surgical treatment option.